Dive into the world of clay and embark on an artistic journey with me. This workshop is both a relaxing and highly informative experience, that introduces clay to the perceiver by teaching the three main handbuilding techniques, while also giving an insight into other production techniques.
Participants in this course will learn about the origins of clay, its qualities and uses in everyday life. You will be introduced to various types of clay and their expressions as well as the thought process that every designer goes through when beginning to create in clay. After this introduction, you will receive 0.5kg clay to work with individually.
In this worksjop you will learn three fundamental methods used in ceramics for building vessels: The pinch, coil, and slab techniques, as well as a short intro into kurinuki (a traditional Japanese technique of handbuilding ceramics). Each technique has its unique process and characteristics, and they are often chosen based on the desired shape and texture of the final product.
The Three Fundamental Methods Used In Ceramics That We Will Learn Are:
1. Pinch Technique:
-Process: The pinch technique is one of the most basic methods of shaping clay. It starts with a ball of clay. The potter then inserts their thumb into the center of the ball and starts pinching the clay between the thumb and fingers, gradually shaping and thinning it into a vessel. This method allows for a great deal of control over the thickness and form of the clay.
-Example Creation: Small Bowls or Cups
2. Coil Technique:
-Process: This method involves rolling out long, snake-like strands of clay called coils. These coils are then layered and pressed together to build up the walls of the vessel. The potter gradually shapes and smooths the coils, either leaving the coil texture visible or smoothing it out completely for a uniform surface.
-Example Creation: Vases and Sculptures
3. Slab Technique:
-Process: In the slab technique, the clay is rolled out into flat sheets (slabs) using a rolling pin or a slab roller. These slabs are then cut into shapes and joined together using scoring and slip (a liquid mixture of clay and water) to form the sides of a vessel. The edges are smoothed and reinforced to ensure stability and a seamless look.
-Example Creation: Plates, Platters or Serving Dishes.
We will finish the course with having created a piece in each technique - 3 pieces in total. Your pieces will be fired and glazed ready to be picked up after 4-5 weeks at our workshop.
This workshop is suited for a range of participants: from those seeking a one-off creative experience to newcomers embarking on their clay journey, and individuals looking to refine their existing skills. Offering a unique opportunity to learn the essentials of clay, it combines hands-on learning with a relaxed, supportive setting – perfect for anyone looking to explore their creativity in the world of ceramics.
I look forward to seeing you soon!
Your Booking Includes:
- Admission to a 3.5-hour clay workshop suitable for all skill levels: Our workshop is designed to accommodate everyone, whether you're a beginner or an experienced ceramic artist.
- Guidance and assistance throughout the workshop: I will be by your side every step of the way, providing expert guidance and assistance to help you bring your creative vision to life.
- 0.5 kg of high-quality clay: You'll receive half a kilogram of premium clay, the essential raw material for your creative journey.
- Bisque Firing: This initial firing is crucial to harden the clay and prepare it for the glazing stage, and is done once the piece is completely dry, typically 1-2 weeks after our workshop.
- Glaze Firing: After bisque, we glaze and glaze fire your creations, typically 1-2 weeks after the bisque fire. This final firing ensures your creation becomes a durable and beautifully finished work of art, after which you can collect the piece at our workshop.
- Glaze: You'll have access to a variety of glaze options to add the perfect finish to your ceramics.
- 3 Beautiful handbuilt ceramic pieces to take home and enjoy for years to come.
- Snacks and beverages: Enjoy a delightful array of snacks and beverages served at our location, that you can enjoy while socializing and enjoying moments of creation during the course.
Private and Group Bookings, Please Note: If you would like this experience to take place at your location, drinks and snacks are not included in the booking price and there might be an extra transpiration fee depending on your location.